Thursday, October 22, 2009

Yeah for Daddy!

Today, Chase accessed Coleton's port for the first time.  I (Sarah) have been doing it every time so that I could get a lot of experience under my belt.  Chase did everything today, from mixing the factor through the entire process, while I just watched.  He did a great job, getting it right in on the first try.  I usually miss the first time and have to maneuver the needle a little to get it in the center of the port.  He told Coleton that it was just like bow hunting: aim the arrow for the bullseye.  Yes, hunting is on his mind these days... actually, I think it's on his mind year round. Each time we've been accessing at home these last 3 days, Chase and I have both been here; but we've been practicing at making it a one-person job, because there will probably be many times when Chase will be leaving for work before Coleton gets up, and we want to be ready for that, and also for other circumstances when only one of us is around.  It's pretty amazing that Coleton, not yet 3 years old, will sit still enough by himself for us to access him.  He has been crying a little (especially since we stopped using Emla cream - a topical numbing agent - since his skin was reacting to it), and he tends to want to put his hands up (in essence, to pull our hands away from putting the needle in), but he does obey when we tell him he needs to put his hands down and be very still.  I think at this point he knows what he needs to do, he just fights the urge to stop us for the few seconds it takes to get the needle in.  If he didn't obey us, it would be impossible to do this without two of us.  It just reminds me how important it is for me to take time to train my kids in obedience at a young age.  Yes, I'm motivating myself as I write.  Look out, kids; Mommy's been inspired!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Chase! Sounds like a pretty big job each day. We've come a long way though.....my oldest brother spent over a year in the hospital when he was young and our parents could only visit him once a week on Sundays and he was about the same age as Coleton....now you guys can give treatment right in the comfort of your own home...that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Chase, I'm so impressed! My port was at an angle and they always had trouble--these experienced nurses would be saying, "No way! I'm not going to access her!!" It's gotta be harder on your side of the needle, I think. Too bad about the Emla cream. How about orajel? Just trying to think of something that might help (I think I heard of that idea through something someone told me about your mom, Chase, but I won't repeat it here :) (Karen's going to be calling me when she hears about this.)
    Anyways, I'm so impressed. And Sarah, how true about obedience. What a fortunate little guy he is to be learning obedience from a Godly mommy, and gettin' it down early(!) and he will be sooooo blessed as he grows up! Praying for you guys! Thanks for taking the time to post!
    Lots of Love,
    Mrs. G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coleton- Your dad is a super man because he gets his strength from the Lord! Give your mom and dad monkey hugs from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Chase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete